un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Sunday, April 01, 2007

More Music Doom

Two articles that confirm what I've already posted some time ago:

http://www.nzmusician.co.nz/index.php/ps_pagename/obpost/pi_obpostid/39
which in turn references
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117444575607043728-DA_Xj6UYVkdAlYagcxinszyQOKE_20070420.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top

Essentially, CD sales are beginning a death plumment, and artists who want to make a living from music will have to play live and sell merchandise to make a living. I wonder if live venues realise this yet? Will NZ culture change so that people go out and see bands 2-3 times every week instead? And then go out and hear DJs later in the night?

NZ band guy Blink reckons midweek band nights in NZ need to start early and finish early like they do in Aussie, so that people know they can go out and party on a school night and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Tatjna put me onto this rather cute article http://kimihia.org.nz/how/raving/ Apart from wondering about the innocence and trepidation with which some people approach the world, it contains this immortal line

The mark of being in a club or a rave is that the person playing the music has (at least) two turntables and spends a lot of time bent over them to get them mixed together without gaps between tracks. If there is a guy pulling out CDs and taking requests then you probably aren't in a rave.


Go the vinyl!

Strangely, vinyl could be a small exception to the plummeting sales of CDs and lukewarm digital music sales. I don't know what the actual figures are, but they probably aren't good. Those, like myself, who still prefer vinyl over CD/digital at least show that we support the artist/record label by purchasing their product.

I'm very suspicious of the number of people I see playing off CD these days. I do wonder how many CDJs actually pay for their music. I recall a minor wannabe DJ in Wellington a few years ago proudly telling me how many thousands of MP3s he had available for a set. Most of which he hadn't even listened to. All acquired without giving anything back to the artist who created them. I left him feeling angry and sick. Interestingly, he swopped to vinyl a while later. Maybe he realised he had no credibility.

With CDJs and tools like Tractor and Ableton Live becoming so much better in the last few years, it's no wonder some DJs are changing formats. It's purely for practical reasons - the weight of large numbers of tunes on vinyl versus MP3s, and those producing their own tunes choosing to play them out in digital format rather than putting them on acetate. Carl Cox reportedly played only off CD in NZ recently. Et tu Carl?

The challenge will be, with so much 'help', to separate out the good DJs from the merely blend-one-tune-into-another DJs. The DJs who push the boundaries, use the new features and create something unique that you can't get simply by queuing MP3s in Winamp. Mind you, whether their audience actually notices how innovative they are is another thing.

Most of the old school DJs I speak to still prefer vinyl for the playing experience. Hence Final Scratch, and the reportedly much superior Serato Scratch (a New Zealand product) will probably be the way I go MP3 wise, in order to retain that vinyl feel. I play CDs when I have to, but only on good CDJ setups like the Pioneer CDJ 1000s. The others are @!$#!.

Big ups to NZ Musician too, it's a damn good mag which has been slogging away for years and consistently publishes worthwhile stuff.

See also http://xhile.blogspot.com/2007/03/stealing-music.html and http://xhile.blogspot.com/2005/08/sounds-like-stealing-to-me.html




listening to Erik Prydz vs Pink Floyd : Proper Education (on vinyl)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

I was always under the impression that touring was the way most artists made money anyway, with record companies taking the lions share of album sales. Often I'll buy albums at live gigs, because it feels like the money is going straight to the artist rather then paying for needless layers of administration.

The main reason I like mixing using high bitrate mp3s is that I get songs that are not available for purchase (there are heaps of awesome producers out there who are not signed and give their music away for free). I also like being able to splice songs, loop sections, and generally mash up tracks to create new compositions live.

I have alot of respect for people that use vinyl (and CDJs for that matter), and I've been buying up vinyl and teaching myself to mix using those formats. I'll probably rip my vinyls to MP3 in the end, but I'd want to be able to mix vinyl so people don't just write me off as some unskilled laptop DJ.

April 01, 2007 2:27 pm

 
Blogger Rich said...

- I like the way vinyl records are tangible pieces of plastic.
- I don't want to spend thousands on a pair of CDJs - particularly as they may become obsolete due to the wider use of computers (and I don't believe they can play high bitrate lossless files - but tell me if I'm wrong?).
- I don't really want to cart a laptop around with me and rely on a basically fragile and unreliable piece of kit to perform.
- I like going into a record shop, leafing through bins or getting handed a pile of records and picking the ones I want by listening to them. This is much more satisfactory than paging through a website and listening to bits of tracks.
- I work on a computer all the time. I'm keen to separate music from computers.

See my comment to Russell Brown's post on Public Address.

I think "the industry" needs to improve its business model to get people to buy rather than (or indeed as well as) pinch stuff. Part of this could be adding more value to records - e.g. high quality formats, remixable versions (e.g. UMyx), etc.

April 02, 2007 10:28 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[comment added here from Dan's facebook. Thanks Dan]

Just read your article. I know the pioneers are the industry standard but have you seen the fairly new CD decks "Denon DNS 3500" I've used them and they are f*n amazing.... expensive though... but very very good. I like them better than the pioneers, better feel etc...

April 03, 2007 6:35 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home