un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Monday, March 26, 2007

Spotting Spiritual Reality

Sadly, it's easier to spot fakes, charlatans and plain lame-o s than the real thing. Some people I know are hosting a spiritual type guy for a speaking/workshop thingy. I read the blurb about it, and it bothered me.

One big clue for me: He's charging significant $$$ per day. If any of that money goes to him, or to some 'charity' that is actually funding him, to support his lifestyle, that's a big warning bell.

There's an interesting connection between the few spiritual leaders I respect: Y'shua (Jesus), Gautama (called the Buddha), various lesser sages and leaders (Ghandi, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Junior) etc:

They didn't charge money for helping people.

Consequently, some of them lived very frugal lives. Even Paul (an ex Jewish rabbi who wrote many of the letters in the Second Testament) insisted on working for his living wherever he went, even tho' he acknowledged he had a fair case to be hosted for free.

(Incidentally, Mohammed was always a businessman and later a warrior, and got rich off his first wife. No comment.)

So yeah. Having been around spiritual stuff for most of my life, I am thinking "X and Y, you are lovely people... how have you let yourselves become duped by this guy?"

As another friend pointed out, in practical terms it costs a bit to hire out the venue, but realistically, you can talk to people (which is essentially what he's doing) anywhere.

And that's my thought exactly. There are plenty of little halls and spaces that don't charge much at all. To be honest, why not host him in your living room? That's what the early christians did, they didn't have big, lush, pointless meeting places.

True spirituality doesn't require a beautiful, comfortable, catered conference centre to connect with g0d (or become enlightend, or whatever). Ironically, things like deserts, storms and poverty seem to do a better job. If one MUST have beauty, why not find a friendly farmer, hire a small marquee ($1000) and do it there?

An expensive workshop also means only true believers are likely to be there. This makes it safe for the speaker, because otherwise people like me might stand up and say "BULL****!" ;) But a spirituality that can't stand challenge maybe isn't worth the saffron robe it comes in.

I'm sure the guy is a nice guy. I just don't think he's really "got it". Just a gut feeling.


listenig to Mortal | MuJo (uncertainty mix)

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"(Incidentally, Mohammed was always a businessman and later a warrior, and got rich off his first wife. No comment.)"
- I will! :)

Or to quote the book I'm reading - "was a prophet, and a successful one, something which his Christain and Jewish detractors have never forgiven him for."
Not that I particularly support the guy, but he had his good points-
I mean, other than the money, he was simply a violent, exclusivest prophet. You know, like Moses, Abraham and every one else up until Jesus (and even him got pissy at people with money. Maybe he needed a dorito or something.).
m@

March 29, 2007 10:33 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw another one today. This guy was calling himself Chris-Tian (something) and charging $220 for a weekend of 'spiritual enlightenment ' "Channelled straight through Chris-Tian from the Pyramid Masters."

At a "beautiful bush-clad venue in Upper Hutt, please bring organic food for a shared lunch."

In other words, please give me a lot of money so that we can sit on blankets in a venue I don't have to pay for, eat food I didn't have to supply, I will tell you what you want to hear and then I'll take the money and go back to my jacuzzi with a big, satisfied smile on my face.

Numbers limited to 14. That's $3080 for a weekend.

I'm in the wrong game, clearly.

*goes to try contacting the Masters of the Trapezoid*

March 31, 2007 5:13 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home