un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Burn civilisation down, then you're free of it.

One way to reach complete freedom from the restraints of civilisation, is to burn civilisation down, then you're free of it.

[Marc Pauline of Survival Research Laboratories, a US industrial arts group].

Makes me think of Burning Man. And sure enough, I think they've been involved there. I found the quote in this article http://www.birgitrichard.de/texte/e_indust.htm, a slightly academic but readable analysis of industrial music and culture. (It's translated from Prof. Dr. Birgit Richard's original German.) The article is heavily reliant on early acts such as Throbbing Gristle and Einstürzende Neubauten, and neglects later musical acts such as Skinny Puppy and Front Line Assembly but it does shed a lot of light on the earlier period. It focuses more on the art than the music but I found useful insights among the ivorytowerspeak.

One thing that has occurred to me for many years, is that nothing is original in music or performance. For years I've intended to have disturbing AV shows as part of my live experience, but it's all been done. There is nothing shocking i could do that hasn't already been done. And much that i wouldn't want to do.

So, given that I would only be reproducing variations on a theme, I have to be comfortable with my own small piece of originality; tiny variations, and the fact that it's ME, and MY BAND doing it and not someone else. That's what originality comes down to now; origin, not novelty. I need to focus on creativity - production of works - not originality. Nobody in New Zealand is doing this stuff that I am aware of; not even Welly's Gugonix who I saw a few years back.

The flat stinks of leather and glue as PoetryMan creates his artwork for the upcoming Easter "thing" at Cityside. I'm off to see the film Hot Fuzz tonight. Some light relief will be most welcome.

while readingwriting i am listening to Felix Da Housecat | Harlot (Justin Robertson remix), Mr Bungle | Stubb (A Dubb), Matt Bentley | Savannah, Altered Images | Happy Birthday, Front Line Assembly | Sex Offender, Clear Stream Temple | Pentagonium (Buried in Concrete Remix), random breakbeat sample, Nik Kershaw | When A Heart Beats

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, thats what i was going to say, and to encourage you in the fact that you are unique (ie there is no one in the world like you) - so it will be original in that regard :) j

April 04, 2007 9:30 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coupla things.

I finally read the article. I think it ends weakly, but is interesting just the same, and certainly helped increase my understanding of the Thing That Is Industrial.

Yes, SRL have been involved with BM. Talk to Dr Science, he finds them fascinating and is smart enough to discuss this stuff with understanding.

On variations on a theme - it seems to me that anything within a 'scene' bases itself on theme. In this case it seems to be increasing thought on something we are perhaps jaded to with in-your-faceness bordering on disgust or pain. I remember having some very heated arguments with my father around the Madonna in a Condom art piece - he thought it was pointless shock theatre, I argued that it was art because it affected people and made them think - about the topic the artist was manipulating them into thinking. Anyway, thanks for the link - it was a good read of something I wouldn't have read without recommendation. I learned more reading that than I did in the last three days of *cough* 'immersion in culture.'

Finally - on uniqueness. The things that come from your brain through your mouth are unique. And music that draws people to listen to those unique things? Hmm..

(sorry about the verbosity, my brain seems to be working today)

April 09, 2007 8:22 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr Science says:
Speaking as someone who's met him, I'd said that Marc says all sorts of things like that. Whether what he says is connected to his practise is a entirely different matter. He's a very civilised chap.

I found there was a huge gap between the people involved in making SRL happen and the people watching (or cowering). For those involved, its a safety valve, and a way of reclaiming some personally relevant meaning to all the obtruse and inhuman technical skills they've developed in their careers. For those watching, its empty, meaningless spectacle, although impressively louder than all the other empty, meaningless spectacles.

Having helped out at one of their shows (The Arbitrary Calculation of Pathological Amusement, in Tokyo), I'm not even sure I like their shows. But I like the process, even if I don't like the end result, I like the people, and their attitude, and if I had the chance, I'd help out again.

April 11, 2007 7:42 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home