un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Negative Record Contracts

Useful comments from Type O Negative's Peter Steele, from a 2003 Ink9 interview


What do you think of how Roadrunner has changed since Type O has been with the label? I know the band has always had some sticky issues with them.

Technically, at this point we're no longer with the label; we've fulfilled our contract. We handed the masters over to them about a week and a half ago. At that point, we were free. I think every band has issues with their label. Even the Beatles had an issue with their own label, Apple. I guess I've learned that there's really no such thing as a bad label, there is only a bad contract. I realized that no one forced me to sign that contract. I should have -- or we should have -- just hired a better lawyer, because I signed off to things that I cannot believe I was told was a "standard" contract. You know what? There is no such thing as a standard contract. That's just want is handed to you, because you're expected to compromise somewhere. As far as standards go, there is no industry standard for anything. If my manager wants to take fifty percent of my publishing and I offer five and I only give him five, well then, that's my standard. It's ironic that we've reached the end of the contract. My relationship -- and the band's relationship -- with Roadrunner has actually improved somewhat. There's a possibility that we will re-sign [with the label], but we have to go where the best offer is. After all, I'm not doing this for my health. If anything, it takes away from my health, so I'm open to all options.


listening to Type O Negative | Blood and Fire

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home