un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Lying, the Weak and the War drones

Now i've seen The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe. I expected to loathe the Pevensies as too Enid Blyton, but they weren't so bad. I don't think anyone said "beastly", at least.

I was surprised the special effects looked a bit dated in places, there was one blue screen that looked completely obvious. In their defence, they had a really difficult job. In LOTR there was a limited number of creatures to animate. Whereas In Narnia they had to create completely realistic leopards, beavers, birds, centaurs, rhinos, griffins, horses, fauns, humans, dwarves, minotaurs, cyclops, wolves, monsters, dogs, tigers, bears and many more.

They did the early scenes with Mr Tumnus well, and I thought the witch's nasty dwarf driver captured his role perfectly. Nicely vicious.

Before being too critical I think it's good to remember it's a children's movie. I kept wanting there to be more blood and darkness. Aslan was well done, but they should really have had James Earl Jones (Darth Vader) do the voice. Liam Neeson sounded too wimpy at times. (Would have loved to hear "Use the force, Edmund".) Perhaps instead of filming the others they could do the 'adult' version. My 7 year-old liked it.

Oh, and the surprise ending with Lucy and the professor a couple minutes after the credits began? Good idea, but half the cinema had left by then, there should have been more to keep us watching.

Overall, I liked it but "could try harder". Hoping they do the other films. I'm just reading the Magician's Nephew again and am reminded at how deep the books are, even for kids.

I hope there's stacks of extras on the DVD

===

Sometimes I think I'm a grumpy bugger. Perhaps I am. Misanthropy rules. ;-) Feeling more "interest" than yesterday tho' – interviewing members of the little shared community I live with about what they want out of our experiment has piqued my nullness.

listening to: Butthole Surfers : Pepper

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home