un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Agnostic Pi


It's not atheists who get stuck in my craw, but agnostics. Doubt is useful for a while. We must all pass through the garden of Gethsemane. If Christ played with doubt, so must we. If Christ spent an anguished night in prayer, if He burst out from the Cross, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" then surely we are also permitted doubt. But we must move on. To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.


from Life of Pi by Yann Martell.

listening to Queensryche : Silent Lucidity

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hrm- a little black/white for me. I like doubt - too much doubt = insecure&bad, too much faith = stupid&bad. I err on the side of doubt - I personally think it's the only productive way to live, or to think -
actually personally I see it the opposite way = I think faith is useful for a while, then you have to jump off the 100-foot pole, as the zen-people say. Faith is just another stepping-stone or crutch. I could be wrong (this being the point)-
m@

December 15, 2005 1:22 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... which of course makes my point equally binary/black&white - so ignore that - but let just say, faith is good, doubt is also good-
they're both good. Though personally I prefer doubt, but it really comes down to personal taste-

December 15, 2005 2:39 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

m@

December 15, 2005 2:39 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home