un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Te Wiki Wiki Wiki

In New Zealand, after English (spoken by 95.9 percent of people), the most common language in which people can have a conversation about everyday things is Maori, spoken by 4.1 percent (157,110 people).
(See? Statistics ARE interesting.)

So for those who don't work in a government department, I thought I'd share some new words I'm learning. Next time you go to the kitchen at work, take note of these:

Ti = Tea
Kawhe = Coffee
Huka = Sugar
Miraka = Milk
and of course
Maero = Milo

and now for the harder ones

Pouaka Whakamatao = Fridge
Mihini Horoi Pereti = Dishwasher


But what I _really_ want to know is how to say "@$!! I'm tired, didn't sleep well last night and I think I have a cold. Hope my kawhe kicks in soon."

Actually, there are people here who could tell me that.

Also - it's my first payday. *massive kermit flail*



[Who rememembered that wiki is Maori for "week", as in "Te Wiki O Te Reo Maori" ? Which is, of course, this week.]

listening to The Rapture | Wey Ahh (Claude Somebody remix)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wiki wiki wiki

January 06, 2009 8:51 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home