un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Monday, May 21, 2007

Intellectual Pursuits

I've finished reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Good novel, believable sympathetic characters and settings. It's made me aware of intersexualism and hermaphroditism which, while unusual, is not as rare as one might think.

I've also finished Principles of Druidry by Emma Restall Orr and concluded I don't want to be a druid. It's well written, though descends into waffle occasionally. I found it attractive for a short while. It tickled my fantasy racial memories of noble celtic wise people. But I finished the book feeling repulsed. One of the main reasons being neo-Druidism doesn't seem to have anything to show it is true. I'm sorry to those who bought the once-trendy idea that truth is a relative thing, but i can't get away from that. If someone can't give me more evidence for their spirituality than "it feels true for me", or "I have nice experiences doing it" then i feel like it's a waste of time for me. Much as I'd like to, I can't 'believe' what i know ain't true.

I feel like I'm not putting that across right, or not being senstive, or something. But if other peoples' feelings count, then so do mine. And my feelings say no religion at all is preferable to one that is knowingly made up.

I watched Alien again last night with all the flatmates here and across the road. It was a fun experience, as several hadn't seen it, and Gardenergirl screamed satisfyingly.

My back is sore, my fingers are sore, my arm is sore. My coffee is hissing, gurgling and choking on the stove signalling it is time to consume.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home