un-orthodoxy interfaces with conservation-ism, orthopraxis, devil's advocacy, music, life thoughts, musings, silliness

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Chemical Brothers – 3rd World Exploitation?

I listened to Chemical BrothersGalvanise for the first time today. And I was surprised to hear a theme I recognised. Surprised, because it’s from an obscure Moroccan folk-pop track I happen to own. The track was released only on CD in 1994, by Najat Atabu called Just Tell Me The Truth. It’s hard to get at the moment. (To my surprise, I listen to the same stuff as Tom and Ed Chem.)

I hope the Chems paid to use the sample, as it’s very distinctive and a major theme of the track. It can hardly be argued that it’s not a significant or recognisable part of the original track if I clocked it straight away. I have faith that the Chems did do the right thing, they are big and rich enough to do so. If not, it would be Western techno artists exploiting an artist from a less developed country. And we don’t need any more of that.


listening to
Natalie Merchant | San Andreas Fault

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home